Friday, September 29, 2006

Failing Schools and Failing Health

About a week ago, maybe more, I was catching up with my Board of Education handouts and was browsing through a Connecticut School Health Survey (CSHS). This is put out (and I use the term loosely) by the Department of Education and the Department of Public Health.

On the cover letter, it offered a couple of people to call "if you have any questions". I did. Identifying myself as a school board member with questions I called both Dr. Mhoura Newsom-Stewart (860.567.0863) and Mrs. Cherl Resha (860.807.2108) over a week ago and never received a call back.

Funny how adults getting paid by public funds have so little accountability yet children are held to task 24 by 7. Oh well, I'm going to guess they're working their fingers to the bone.

Anyway, my question pertained to the responses they received from the survey. Five plus percent of schools reported that 26 to 75 percent of their attending students had no health insurance. Even the majority of schools who reported otherwise still reported that as much as 50 percent of their populations might not be covered. And there are more devils to be discussed in these details - unattended mental health issues, poor dental health, and so on.

Nowhere in the survey do the people administering it ever consider mapping the findings to the failing schools issue even though the results read like child-labor sweatshop health conditions of third-world children.

I'm not going to even bother going into a rant about this. But it seems to me teachers who are being accused in these failing schools should demand a recount of extenuating circumstances. Furthermore, the Rell administration needs to belly up to the health clinics with getting these kids on the Husky plan.

No comments: